PCSX2 was the first PlayStation 2 emulator. Through persistent development, it's stayed the best one around! Game compatibility is large. It handily comes equipped with its own plug-ins, which is customized. PCSX2 demands a quick computer so as to operate well. You may have trouble with it in case you're using a budget laptop or a Windows tablet.
With different emulators you can get away with using your keyboard for gameplay. But with PCSX2 it is pretty difficult, provided the PlayStation 2 controller's miniature joysticks. I strongly advise purchasing a gamepad for this emulator.
Don't download PCSX2 out of their siteThe download of PCSX2 from the official homepage has not been updated in years. Instead, you'll discover the most latest releases of this emulator from the'automated builds' page.
Intro to plug in systemPlayStation 2 emulation revolves round the plug in system. PlayStation emulators are only the shell of this surgery.
PCSX2 comes equipped with plug-ins, so you don't have to worry about downloading them separately and configuring them. I still want to assess different types of plug-ins with you. It is fantastic to be informed with how the emulator works. Here's the list of these:
This controls the graphics and 3D rendering. PAD – the control plug-in. This controls the way you control your games; whether you use a computer keyboard or a gamepad. This controls the music and audio effects. CDVD – the CD/DVD plug in. This controls the reading of your CDs/DVDs or images. USB – the USB plug in. This controls USB emulation. This controls the firewire port of the PlayStation 2. DEV9 – the hard disk & Ethernet plug in. This controls the HDD (hard disk drive) and Ethernet emulation. Be aware that you don't possess to stay with the plug-ins which arrive with PCSX2. You may find better ones on the market if you Google around.
The PlayStation 2 BIOS is required to be able to boot up games. This is a separate download once you have downloaded PCSX2. Below you can download this BIOS.
If you do not find the file extension, try showing them.
Newer versions of PCSX2 are only standalone programs in a zip file. Older versions of PCSX2 install by means of a wizard. I will explain both scenarios.
Installing the standalone program (newer versions) Setup is simple: simply extract PCSX2 from the zip file. Here's a video tutorial showing you : the best way to unzip files on Windows.
IMPORTANT! PCSX2 must be placed in a frequent folder on your PC. I suggest Records , Downloads, or create a folder on your desktop. If you place PCSX2 someplace else on your main C drive, then you may be limiting it to read-only access. Doing so prevents PCSX2 from saving anything.
- Using the setup wizard (older versions)
- Double-click on the install EXE for PCSX2. It is going to look something like
- The"Pick Components" box is going to be the very first screen to pop up: Leave everything checked and click Next.
- The setup will proceed. You'll be prompted with this box into Visual C++: Put a check which you read the terms and click on Install.
- PCSX2 is installed! But we are not done yet. Read the next section about what to do if you start PCSX2 for the very first time.
If you installed PCSX2 with an install wizard, you'd start it by going to your Start menu (your programs list) and start up PCSX2 there. PCSX2 welcomes you with the Very First Time Configuration screen. Click Next. The next screen only reviews the plug-ins which come with PCSX2. You don't have to do anything here. Click Next. Next is the BIOS screen. Click Open in Explorer, as shown below:you will be prompted with a"This route does not exist. Create it? " window. Click Create. Note the path where the BIOS folder is found. Open up that folder. Download the BIOS on killerroms.com if you have not already, unzip it, and drag its contents into the BIOS folder. It should look something like below: It is very important that you match the preceding screenshot on your end. Don't place the BIOS files in a sub folder inside the BIOS folder! Bring back the"First Time Configuration" window. Click the Refresh listing button (circled below). You should now see the Europe, Japan, and USA BIOS files appear in the white box.
- Click on your preferred country to choose it. Click Finish.
- That is it! PCSX2 is now fully installed and configured.
Setting up the keyboard or gamepad
Normally emulators have all of the keyboard keys preconfigured, but PCSX2's keys are a clean slate the very first time you open it! You have no option but to configure them. Again, I urge you to purchase a gamepad since the PlayStation 2 controller has a great deal of buttons.
Using a PS2, PS3, or Xbox control
PCSX2 does not require any special instructions for using a PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, or even Xbox controller. However, the first time you plug into your computer it has to be properly setup or requires special instruction for linking. There are lots of videos on YouTube showing you how to do this:
- The best way to set up a PlayStation 2 controller onto a PC
- The best way to setup a PlayStation 3 controller on a PC
- The best way to join an Xbox controller to a PC
Loading a True PS2 game you own
Loading a genuine PlayStation 2 game that you own is incredibly straightforward. Simply pop the game in, wait for a few minutes, then in PCSX2 go to System > Boot CDVD (full).
However, I do not recommend playing your matches through your DVD-ROM drive. PCSX2 is a rather demanding emulator in your CPU. Running the game from your DVD-ROM drive will slow it down and lower its functionality. Rather, I recommend ripping your match to an ISO. I have instructions for this right below.
Backing up your PS2 game to ISO
It is a frequent sort of ISO format.
- Download & install ImgBurn (it's free). You can download ImgBurn from the ImgBurn homepage.*If you've got an anti-virus such as AVG, it might flag ImgBurn for comprising adware. Do not panic – it does not include adware! This warning is untrue. All ImgBurn does is show you advertisements throughout the setup wizard (which is the reason AVG falsely flags it). ImgBurn is 100% safe.
- Upon opening ImgBurn, click Create image file from disc, as shown here.
- Make sure the appropriate source drive is put in"Source", then click on the Read icon – as shown here.
- That's it! Ripping your game CD will take maybe 20-30 minutes. By default, ImgBurn will toss the BIN file (the ISO) into Documents.
Inside my links pageI have some good links to websites where you are able to download ISOs. If you wish to try to find more websites than what's in my set of hyperlinks, just Google around. For example, if you would like to download Shadow of the Colossus only Google"download shadow of the colossus ps2".
However, an even greater use of Google is to search Reddit. People upload PlayStation 2 matches to cloud platforms all the time. You will only find these hyperlinks to these precious tools on Reddit. Try search phrases like"reddit download playstation 2".